Assault is vigorously prosecuted by the District Attorney’s Office in Tarrant County. If you were arrested for assault, you need to consult with a criminal defense lawyer with real trial experience and vast knowledge of the Texas Penal Code. I have dedicated my career to Texas criminal law, trying countless misdemeanor and felony cases before both judges and juries. Prior to opening my boutique criminal defense law firm, I worked as a prosecutor in Tarrant and Collin Counties for the District Attorney’s Office. My previous experience as a prosecutor enables me to think critically and holistically about each client’s case. I will do my best to evaluate the facts and evidence, poke holes in the prosecution’s case, zealously advocate for your rights, and present a creative yet strong defense theory.
While criminal assault may come in many formats in Tarrant County, any type of criminal conviction can have dire and lasting consequences for your future. Not only do you face lengthy prison time, fines, and parole, but you may suffer difficulty in finding and maintaining employment and even renting an apartment. I can assist you with understanding the nature of the assault charges, deciding how to best proceed with your case, and diligently and doggedly pursuing justice on your behalf. I provide free consultations to residents of Fort Worth, Arlington, Tarrant County, and other surrounding cities. To schedule an appointment with the Fulgham Law Firm, please call me today at (817) 886-3078.
WHAT IS ASSAULT?
Assault is a blanket term used by the Texas legislature that can involve either traditional battery or assault. The Texas Penal Code § 22.01 defines assault as:
Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury to another;
Intentionally or knowingly threatening another with imminent bodily injury; or
Intentionally or knowingly causing an unconsented, offensive, or provocative contact with another.
Assault can involve a stranger, a friend, a family member, or a romantic partner. Domestic violence acts of intoxication and road rage all constitute assault. While assault generally refers to misdemeanor assault, it can take many other forms depending on the exact circumstances including:
- Aggravated assault
- Domestic violence
- Resisting a police officer
- Sexual assault
- Terroristic threats
PENALTIES FOR ASSAULT
Assault can be a misdemeanor or felony depending on the exact circumstances surrounding the assault, as well as the relationship between the individual and victim.
- Class A Misdemeanor: Assault without any aggravating circumstances. Penalty: Up to 1 year in jail, up to $4,000 in fines, or both.
- Class B Misdemeanor: Assault against a sports participant. Penalty: Up to 180 days in jail, up to $2,000 in fines, or both.
- Class C Misdemeanor: Threats of imminent bodily injury and offensive or provocative contact. Penalty: Up to $500 in fines.
- First Degree Felony: Aggravated sexual assault, drive-by shootings, and aggravated assault with a weapon. Penalty: Anywhere from five years to life in state prison, as well as up to $10,000 in fines.
- Second Degree Felony: Aggravated assault, reckless child abuse, tampering with products, and sexual assault. Penalty: Anywhere from two to 20 years in state prison, as well as up to $10,000 in fines.
- Third Degree Felony: Child abandonment, discharging a firearm, terroristic threats, harassment of public servants, repeated domestic violence or domestic assault involving choking, and assault against a police officer. Penalty: Anywhere from two to 10 years in state prison, as well as up to $10,000 in fines.
SEEK THE ADVICE OF A FORMER TARRANT COUNTY PROSECUTOR TODAY
Get inside the mind of the prosecutor with a zealous Tarrant County criminal defense attorney who understands how the prosecution thinks and can anticipate the District Attorney’s Office’s evidence and arguments. Call me at the Fulgham Law Firm now at (817) 877-3030 to schedule a free consultation on your assault charges.
These people really helped me when literally no one else would. Brandon was very responsive and ready to help.Jessica G.
They are so professional and nice there and the lawyer is so nice and will listen to you the process was so smooth ????????????Tyler K.
They worked for usStephen D.
Listened to me. Honest with me. Cared about what I had to say. Called back after 5pm and almost immediately.Joshua S.
Very responsive - dont waste any time getting things taken care of.. im very appreciative of the work these guys didDominic G.